The Highside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My track day questions & possible improvement points...

3 posters

Go down

My track day questions & possible improvement points... Empty My track day questions & possible improvement points...

Post  Wyvern971 Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:56 am

I have to say I'm not really a newbie to track riding, but am not really that advanced either.

I tend to ride novices or inters, depending on how long it's been since I've been riding, which bike I'm on & whether I've been to that cicuit before.

My biggest problem is low corner entry speed.

What tends to happen (I find) is that I am sort of coasting into the corners. I certainly know I could be going faster in, but for some reason don't

Typically this means the following scenario;

People overtake me on corner entry
I turn later than them & get on the power earlier
I am stuck up their chuff mid-corner to exit, often backing off.

How do you overcome the problem of going into a corner too slowly?
(I know this is a phychologic issue, I'm ideally not after comments like, "Just go in faster")

Wyvern971

Back to top Go down

My track day questions & possible improvement points... Empty Re: My track day questions & possible improvement points...

Post  Frankenduc Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:48 am

Its mainly a confidence thing.
The act of cornering scrubs a lot of entry speed so you're probably hitting the apex and thinking you could have been a bit quicker there.
Next time around try tagging onto a marginally quicker rider and follow his brake and turn points. You'll probably pucker up first couple of corners until you recalibrate your mental corner entry speed base line.
Above all resist the urge to brake later but harder as you still achieve the same corner speed but it'll seem much worse due to the excessive braking force you're now applying.
The biggest goal is to widen your vision as it slows everything down and allows you greater perception of what your doing. Focusing on the braking point then looking at the apex then looking for the exit line will make it seem scary as you're concentrating on single entities which give your brain less time to adjust to the situation.
Try riding around without using your brakes and stay in a single gear and you'll suddenly see that braking is not the be all and end all. Smoothing out your actions will reap huge rewards as smooth is faster than hurried.
And try talking out loud to yourself as you ride the track. It can really focus you on the key tasks and objectives at hand and can screen out the other clutter.
And relax. Biggest thing is to relax and be smooth.

Frankenduc

Back to top Go down

My track day questions & possible improvement points... Empty Re: My track day questions & possible improvement points...

Post  Castrolcraig Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:44 am

Brilliant advice Steve...

Castrolcraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyvern971 Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 am

Thanks for the detailed answer Smile

I'll give that a go next time I'm out on track

Wyvern971

Back to top Go down

Post  Castrolcraig Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:11 am

Another suggestion is Simon Crafar's new book & DVD, MotoVudu, bloody brilliant

Castrolcraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum